Wednesday, July 06, 2005

 

Still Here!

Yes, I'm still alive and I'm still drivin' the nightline. We have just navigated through the 4th of July holiday weekend and man-oh-man did we move a lot of people. I'm hoping that was the peak for the season and everything will be downhill from here.

I don't know whether I have been suffering from writer's block or if the job has started to become routine. A few interesting things have happened in the last couple of weeks, but nothing that I thought worthy of the blog. I guess I'll have to hone my creative writing skills and embellish the stories a bit for your entertainment. So far, believe it or not, I haven't had to do that.

I always try to make the bus ride pleasant for my riders. I announce all of the bus stops and mention a few of the popular restaurants, miniature golf courses and other attractions along the way. For the real late-nighters, I mention all of the open-all-night pizza shops and fast food joints. When the passengers get off of the bus I have a few standard phrases; Have a good night, or if it's so late that the sun is starting to come up, Have a good day, See ya now, Bye-bye, Watch your step there (for the drunks), Good night, See you next time (for the regulars). Occasionally I'll slip one in that gets a pretty good laugh. When a group of pretty young girls gets off (not too young of course, but obviously younger than me) I might say, "And, if you're ever interested in an older man, you know where to find me."

Now, the thing that disturbs me a little bit is that the response is always laughter. Everybody enjoys getting a laugh but I can't help but wonder, is it really that funny? Well, after having another look in the mirror, maybe it is.

Comments:
Welcome Back! I know I speak for all your readers when I say you were missed! Please don't stay away that long again.Make up something....ANYTHING!!!!
 
I agree! Bill, almost everything you experience on that bus is "blog-worthy!!"
(Daniel--a quasi-Seinfeld reference.)
As for the "older man reference" it's better they laugh than think you're a pedophile! :)
 
I'm not using that line on children. As I said, not too young but younger than me. You may have stopped having birthdays but mine seem to keep coming around, and quite often I might add. I'm nearly pushing 50 here toots and the 30-somethings are starting to look young to me.
I'm growing older but not up!
--Jimmy Buffett
 
In your particular position you should begin to look at yourself as an entertainer..the only problem with that if it is the same people riding everyday jokes get stale after a while.
I've always had a "schticht" ready when the opportunity presents itself.
While people are on your bus you are the "Captain of that Ship" so the passengers are going to afford you some attention you might not otherwise get.
If you are allowed to accept gratuities you can rake in your food money by providing an entertaining trip.
The girls aren't laughing at you..they think they're laughing with you!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?